Recipe: Simple spaghetti bolognese
Everyone has their favourite spag bol recipe, whether it be from a jar or made from scratch. This quick and simple spaghetti bolognese recipe does not disappoint, its packed full of flavour and is a real winner for when you need dinner done in a hurry.
The beauty of this recipe is each portion contains 4 of your 5 a day! Yes, you read it right – in just one meal you can make great strides towards that magic 5 a day. And to top it off, for those who are veg-phobes, this is a great way to smuggle veg into a dish without even noticing.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
Nutritional info per serving
Calories: 321 | Total fat: 6.4g | Carbs: 27g | Protein: 31.1g
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 large courgette, grated
- 250g 5% fat pork mince
- 250g 5% fat beef mince
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 125ml red wine
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers, chopped
- 350g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 500g passata
- 1tbsp oregano
- A handful of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the hob to a medium heat and in a non-stick pan, chuck in the sliced onion, grated carrot and courgette with a pinch of salt and a little bit of water to stop it sticking to the pan. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the pork and beef and fry until browned, which should take about 5 minutes. Add the chopped garlic, tomato puree and red wine and cook for a further 3 minutes until the wine has cooked out.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes, chopped red pepper, passata, oregano, and beef stock cube and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and when serving, sprinkle with the fresh chopped basil.
Serve with spaghetti, or if you want to reduce your carb intake, mix it up with some courgetti. If you’ve got calories to spare, top with grated Parmesan or mozzarella.