Welcome to this week’s MAN v FAT Newsround, where we take a look at what’s been going on in the world of weight loss, health and fitness this week…
NEWS FROM THE MAN V FAT FOOTBALL LEAGUES
Headed by Spencer Kearney, the captain of the league’s Monster Munchen Gladbach team, the lads had built an incredibly strong team bond and wanted to do something for charity. Fast forward two (and a bit) months and the lads have now raised an incredible £478 for Prostate Cancer Research. We’d like to say a big well done to Spencer and his team, hats off!
We’re constantly told it’s important to get our five portions of fruit and vegetables in every day, but a recent study has found that a staggering number of Brits struggle to identify everyday types of fruit and veg. We’re not talking about anything exotic here either: with two in five confusing an apple for a mango and one in five not knowing the difference between tangerines and oranges.
The shocking numbers continue when it comes to knowing where they’ve come from; a mere one in five were able to confidently say pineapples grow in the ground, and when told blueberries are picked from bushes three in ten were surprised to hear it. *facepalms*
WHAT WE’RE EATING
In all honestly, carbohydrates can be deadly for somebody looking to lose weight, and while they can be brilliant for slow burning energy (especially before an important MAN v FAT Football match), you have to be careful with how much you consume, especially if you’re not very active. Some of the tastiest potato-based foods have carbs in abundance, so it can be difficult to satisfy your taste buds with one eye on your waistline.
These butternut squash crinkle chips from Sainsbury’s will put both of those worries to rest. With a staggering 13g fewer carbs than the real thing, the squash version give those who are looking to shed the pounds a chance to experience one of life’s most beautiful foods, chips glorious chips *cue the music*. If you’re interested in getting your hands on these (and why on earth wouldn’t you be?), pick up your 300g packet from Sainsbury’s for just £1.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- You might think that the safest thing to do when your child falls ill is to rush them straight to A&E, but a plea from NHS England is asking parents to take mildly sick children to pharmacies instead.
- The UK is experiencing a worrying and unlikely return of Victorian diseases – the likes of scarlet fever and other archaic infections have made a mysterious comeback.
WHAT WE’RE TALKING ABOUT ON THE MAN V FAT FORUM
- Lent begins this week and whether you’re a religious person or not, it’s a perfect opportunity to ditch something which might be preventing you from achieving your goals. Be that an unhealthy food or a toxic lifestyle trait, we want to know what you’re looking to give up.
- Hats off to @Darren_Welch for his thread featuring quick, low-cal recipes. He’s rounded up all the details on plenty of scrumptious meals for quick food fixes, but remember don’t comment!
- Let’s talk coffee. Are you an Americano or a flat white? A cappuccino or a mocha? We want to know how you get your caffeine fix.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“The last Sunday league team I played for if you turned up and had any silly coloured boots you got fined £5 a game which went towards the end of season trip” – @Pbarky74 on what happened when players wore ‘silly coloured boots’. Sounds like a good idea for MAN v FAT Football!