Welcome to our weekly news roundup, where we’ll celebrate your progress, bring you news from the MAN v FAT football leagues plus keep you up to date with all the latest goings-on in the world of weight loss, fitness and food.
FROM THE LEAGUES
- The inaugural season in Weston-Super-Mare got off to a great start with (how about these for team names) Beercelona and Incredible Bulk both winning their first games. After proud performances on the pitch and the scales, a special mention goes to player Robin Woodward who lost a massive 7.04kg in his first week – that’s 15.5lbs and just shy of 5% of his body weight. Well done!
- This week saw Inter MiScran extend their unbeaten run to seven games with an 8-7 win over Grazin Squad to maintain top spot in the Manchester league.
- The Bridgwater league has finished, so you’re probably thinking “what will they do in their spare time?” well, eat healthily of course, which they can now do easily after de-cluttering their kitchens for a good cause. Players were challenged to clear out their cupboards of tinned products to donate to those in need. The total weight of the food donated came to 36kg and was gratefully received by the local foodbank. Thanks to all those that donated! We’ve said it before but we’ll say it again – MAN v FAT Football players are a great bunch and they make us very proud.
- *CLAIM-TO-FAME KLAXON* TV station Made in Birmingham visited a MAN v FAT Football session in Smethwick to interview players about their progress. They dropped in on Monday night to witness Testosterone Eagles retain the top spot with a win over Fat Squad.
- The guys in the Fatzio Football team at Lode Heath in Birmingham have now lost over 100kg (220lbs) between them. The title winners from last season have had very few gains and have set off for season two at the same pace. Well done to all that were involved and let’s hope for more of the same!
- Chi’s 100% coconut water is a refreshing way to rehydrate. At 62 calories per 330ml and with no preservatives or fat it’s a great choice if you want something a bit more exciting than water but not quite as crazy as a Coke. You can get it at Ocado for £1.99.
- Asda’s new banana, honey and grains yogurt is a breakfast yogurt if ever we saw one – perfect with granola. It’s low in fat and only 74 calories per serving, but the recommended serving amount of 1/4 a pot contains 9.5g of sugar so go easy on it. Get it at Asda.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- Need an incentive to eat healthier? A new study suggests that people who make even small tweaks in their diet to make it healthier may live longer. http://www.cheshirescouts.org.uk/
- A recent study found that more than 2 billion adults and children globally are overweight or obese and suffer health problems because of it:
- Many high-profile athletes have known the value of mindfulness and meditation for years, see how this could improve your active lifestyle: http://nooga.com/176555/how-mindfulness-can-benefit-athletes/
- In light of Nigel Owens bravely talking about his 27-year battle with bulimia, Panorama has investigated the scale of the problem across the UK by asking every mental health trust and board how many men were referred to eating disorder services for a first assessment http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40683419.
FROM THE FORUM
- What’s better, full fat or reduced-fat yogurt? https://talk.manvfat.com/t/full-fat-yogurt-vs-low-fat-yogurt/24309
- Do you have cheat days? How do you manage them? https://talk.manvfat.com/t/how-do-cheat-days-work/24187
Over to you – what would you like to see more of in our weekly news round-ups? More forum stories? More new products? Want some fascinating trivia, sure you do…Let us know what you want and as is tradition we’ll steal all the best ideas and pass them off as our own!