Welcome to our weekly news roundup, where we’ll celebrate your progress, bring you news from the MAN v FAT football leagues plus keep you up to date with all the latest goings-on in the world of weight loss, fitness and food.
FROM THE MAN v FAT FOOTBALL LEAGUES
- Daniel Hardy, a player from the MAN v FAT Football Ipswich league, has taken his weight loss regime up a gear (quite literally). Daniel took up cycling just under two years ago in an attempt to save money on fuel whilst commuting and also do his bit for the environment, and he’s clocked up over 3000 miles on his bike this year alone.
When he first got back on the saddle, Daniel pulled a face at a suggestion he should have a go at a Sky Ride – a 20 mile cycle ride around the local city centre – and laughed, saying “yeah, like I would be able to complete that”. Well eight months later, Daniel completed the Tour De Tendering, a whopping 60 mile bike ride, in a commendable time of five hours. Wanting to push himself to the next level, the Tour of Suffolk is next on his to do list; a gruelling 250 mile race stretched over three days – no mean feat. Having morphed into a much more experienced and competent cyclist, Daniel has convinced a few mates to get involved and he has even attempted the Tour de Tendering again – this time completing it in 3 hours, 26 mins – hats off to you my friend. Now an ambassador for a cycling clothing company with hundreds of miles under his belt, Daniel is loving his new found hobby, stating “it is great to get out on the bike, especially if you’re having a tough week” – I think the yellow jersey in the Tour de France is next on the cards for you Daniel!
We’re always banging on about how great MAN v FAT Football players are, but every week we hear that they’ve gone above and beyond to either raise money for charity or just be extremely nice. This week we’ve heard a great story from the Hull league, where a group of 24 players took part in a charity game to help raise money to buy a wheelchair for the nephew of a local referee. Not only was this a great gesture by the lads, but by all accounts it was a cracking match itself, with the MVF team narrowly losing 4-3. It was all smiles at the end, and as always, it isn’t the winning that counts, but the taking part – a cliché that has never been more poignant.
PRODUCTS WE’RE LOVING
- Perfect for sharing a cuppa with, these new delicious cookie thins from the perennial kings of chocolate chip biscuits Maryland, are a great low-calorie option to satisfy your sweet tooth – in moderation of course. Weighing in at under 80 calories for every two biscuits, you can afford to indulge in these tasty bites without feeling too guilty, especially when compared to their regular sized cookies which come in at 56 calories for just one. (Editor’s note: Don’t buy these, they are cookie CRACK. They’re only low calorie if you don’t eat the entire pack)
You can find them in Sainsbury’s for a respectable £1.50 per packet.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- If you’re struggling to get some shut eye in these long muggy summer nights, these tips from Guardian readers are a sure fire way to improve your sleep. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/21/from-porridge-to-blackout-blinds-to-colin-firth-reading-graham-greene-how-you-beat-insomnia
- Are you struggling to cope with a sweet tooth? Whether you’re a chocolate addict or a compulsive sugar lover, these eight tips will help you cut down on the sweet stuff, and help you live a happier and healthier lifestyle. http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/the-health-hub/8-easy-ways-to-cut-down-on-sugars-and-sweeteners-for-a-healthier-lifestyle/
- Prejudice towards those who are overweight is causing an apparent ‘fat bias’ to appear within society; those who experience this discrimination are suffering badly from mental tribulations, a study shows. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/well/live/fat-bias-starts-early-and-takes-a-serious-toll.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fhealth&action=click&contentCollection=health®ion=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront
FROM THE FORUM
- From Aberdeen to Anglesey, Merthyr Tydfil to Melbourne, Littleborough to Los Angeles, MAN v FAT is global! Have a read of who you’re sharing your weight loss journey with, but more interestingly where they’re from. https://talk.manvfat.com/t/where-are-you-from/7149/134
- If after reading about the Hull league’s close match makes you think your MVFF league could give a full scale 11-a-side match a good go, then have a read of this post. The Colchester league have sent an open invite to any MVFF league who reckons they would come out on top when pitted against each other. Does your league have what it takes? https://talk.manvfat.com/t/the-unbeaten-colchester-league-issue-smackdown-challenge-to-mvf-football-universe/24260/1
- The anti-scale revolution is in full swing, but despite the condemnation of weighing scales from various ‘experts’, stepping onto them still remains the most common and easiest way to track and measure weight loss progress. Are you making the most of your scales? Find out here: https://talk.manvfat.com/t/how-to-get-the-most-from-your-scales/25166
Over to you – what would you like to see more of in our weekly news round-ups? More forum stories? More new products? Want some fascinating trivia, sure you do…Let us know what you want and as is tradition we’ll steal all the best ideas and pass them off as our own!