MAN v FAT Newsround 15/9/2017
Welcome to our weekly news roundup, where we’ll celebrate your progress, bring you news from the MAN v FAT football leagues plus keep you up to date with all the latest goings-on in the world of weight loss, fitness and food.
FROM THE MAN v FAT FOOTBALL LEAGUES
- The time for talking is nearly over and after months of planning, registering and waiting we’re very excited to launch our brand new MAN v FAT Football leagues in September and October. We have eleven, yes eleven new leagues coming to you over the next few weeks, stretching from Newcastle to Eastbourne, Salford to Liverpool and Oxford to Solihull – just to name a few!
- If you’re not yet registered for one of these leagues, there’s still time – to find your nearest simply visit our registration page, enter your postcode in the search bar and you’re good to go.
- Bagels and running aren’t usually two things you’d immediately associate with each other, but the guys over at New York Bakery Co (NYBCO) have organised a series of charity running events, set to be held across 38 cities in a staggering 21 different countries. Designed to cater runners of all abilities, the Global Energy Race is ideal for getting the whole family out and away from the lure of technology, or an opportunity for you to get in a few extra miles of exercise for a good cause, as the NYBCO have pledged to donate one bagel for every kilometre ran to the Trussel Trust – a charity aiming to put an end to hunger for those not as fortunate as you and me. Not only that, they have also promised to give the registration fee for each runner to charity too. So, if you happen to be in the Rotherham area (or feel like making the trip up/down), on Sunday 24th September, get involved by contributing your time and effort to an excellent cause. You can get more details, including where you can sign up over on their website here.
- After a long and gruelling exercise session, you’d probably be led to believe that the best thing that your body needs in order for it to recover is the newest and latest maximum fibre, minimal fat protein shake – wrong, it’s actually beetroot. According to research published in leading nutrition journal Complete Nutrition, beetroot is perfect for maximising your physical performance. The sweet tasting purple root vegetable is great for “reducing muscle soreness, sustaining high energy exercise performance for longer and it has an ‘ergogenic effect’, which improves muscle recovery”. As the hipsters of the health-conscious world begin to open their eyes towards the benefits beetroots can bring, make sure you’re the first on that purple powerhouse train.
WHAT WE’RE EATING
- Life is hectic and there isn’t always time for cooking a nutritious meal jam-packed with juicy vegetables and all of the other good stuff, but lucky for you the Zero Noodles Vegetable Curry Snack Pot is perfect for eating on the go, whilst keeping the calories low. Weighing in at an impressive 0.56g of fat and a mere 1.31g of salt per 230g serving, the 77 calorie pot of noodles is also a great flavourful source of protein.
If this hasn’t whet your appetite enough for the self-proclaimed “low calorie alternative for weight control”, when compared nutritionally with the market leader for noodles in a pot (you know the one), Zero Noodles are miles ahead. There’s a whopping 51 calorie difference between the two (the difference between a cheeky after meal snack if you ask us) – but it’s the 4.1 g less fat in the Zero Noodles which really makes them a winner. Available at Holland & Barrett for £2.99 per tub.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- We’re constantly being told that high blood pressure is dangerous and radical new plans from the NHS could see supermarkets, schools and the fire brigade carrying out spontaneous checks on blood pressure: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/11/nhs-plan-could-see-blood-pressure-checks-supermarket-tills/
- Could it really be true that carbohydrates are more dangerous for your health than fats? New studies show that a higher carbs intake is directly linked to high mortality rates, compared to high fat intake – read more here: http://time.com/4919448/low-fat-v-low-carb-diets/
- Exciting news incoming: the MVF team is looking to bring a unique page to the site where you could your track weight loss stats, plus lots of other hidden bonuses. We want your thoughts on what this should be like, so join the discussion and let us know what you’d like to see here: https://talk.manvfat.com/t/new-man-v-fat-project-i-need-your-help-with/25767
- Full fat fizzy drinks and dieting don’t mix at all, that’s why almost all of us with look towards the “diet” options when choosing a beverage, but is the supposedly ‘healthier’ option actually not benefiting our health at all? Join the debate: https://talk.manvfat.com/t/diet-fizzy-drinks-horrendous-or-a-bit-bad/25830/4
- It is no secret that a good night’s sleep is key to losing weight, but if you are struggling to catch z’s, some of our wonderful MVF members have got some perfect tips here: https://talk.manvfat.com/t/sleep-quality-which-supplements/25429/2
Over to you – what would you like to see more of in our weekly news round-ups? More forum stories? More new products? Want some fascinating trivia, sure you do…Let us know what you want and as is tradition we’ll steal all the best ideas and pass them off as our own!