MAN v FAT Newsround 14/7/2017
Welcome to our weekly news roundup, where we’ll celebrate your progress, bring you news from the MAN v FAT football leagues plus keep you up to date with all the latest goings-on in the world of weight loss, fitness and food.
FROM THE LEAGUES
- How much do you know about prostate cancer? If you’re anything like Simon, a player from the Colchester MAN v FAT Football league, the answer is probably ‘not enough’, despite it being the most common cancer among men in the UK.
- Looking to change this, Simon will be embarking on a mammoth sponsored walk from Colchester Community Stadium to Anfield in order to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK. Simon and friends are aiming to raise £5,000 for the charity.
- The walk, which is set to take place over the August bank holiday weekend, will see Simon and gang trek all the way from the south-east coast to the north-west of England – a 222-mile journey which they’ll tackle over the course of four days, walking for FIFTEEN HOURS a day. We really hope they have comfortable shoes.
- You can donate to their Just Giving page here and you should also make sure you know the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer by checking out the Prostate Cancer UK website here.
- In news to warm your cockles, player Khyle from the Yeovil league said he was ‘blown away‘ by the generosity of his teammates after they all chipped in to ensure that he had a memorable birthday. Khyle, who has battled with homelessness throughout the league but still managed to make it to every game, has lost 8kg in 10 weeks. The guys in the league got together to give him food, a new phone, football boots and trainers. Khyle says it was the ‘best birthday he could ever have wished for’.
- Better Than Rice is a low calorie and *deep breath* gluten, wheat, fat, sugar and salt-free alternative to rice. It’s made primarily from the roots of the ancient Japanese plant Konjac.and will leave you feeling like a Japanese warrior. Probably. It’s a great source of fibre and at only 9 calories per 100g serving, Better Than Rice is a good option for when you’re looking to slash those calories. You can find it at Healthy Supplies for £2.39.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- No trend has captured the attention of health fanatics like the coconut oil fad; we’ve all heard of the amazing benefits just a little bit of coconut oil can bring, from adding a tropical and nutritious edge to your favourite curry to helping to prevent heart disease and reduce blood pressure, but do we really know enough about it? https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/12/high-fat-oil-and-low-paid-farmers-the-cost-of-our-coconut-craze
- The key to a healthy body is having a healthy mind: with studies showing that 1 in 4 of those suffering from mental health issues believing that a culture of overloading ourselves with work is directly accountable to poor mental health, do you that it is right we work ourselves into the ground?http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/battling-burnout-overworking-stress-depression
- With the money injected into the beautiful game at an all-time high you would be mistaken for thinking that the only things a modern day footballer needs to worry about is which supercar they’re going to drive to training in the morning – it is often forgotten that these multi-million pound players are still humans with real feelings and emotions. This article explores why footballers should open up: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/sport/football/football-indepth/the-football-mindset-why-players-should-continue-to-open-up/
FROM THE FORUM
- Weight loss doesn’t have to be just about gruelling sessions in the gym – a scenic walk around the countryside can do the job just as well (if not better): https://talk.manvfat.com/t/walking-for-weight-loss/23817
- Are you Americano obsessed? Do you crave a double espresso in the morning? Or do you just simply love the rich aroma of freshly grounded coffee beans? If so then you are in luck – new studies show that coffee lovers live longer: https://talk.manvfat.com/t/coffee-drinkers-really-do-live-longer/23841