Football’s back – now get fit like the pros
Where will Liverpool win the title, will Pogba and Fernades play well together and which three teams will face the drop? Football’s back on the box guys and there’s plenty to be watching.
We’ve had some time off from MAN v FAT’s leagues this year and soaked up the sunshine (and been soaked by the rain), but now it’s time to get inspired by the pros to start to work your way back to fitness.
We’re swapping day drinking for demanding drills that’ll get you in shape quicker than Adama Traore chasing a through ball on a Wolves attack.
Football training isn’t one size fits all – each player’s workout is different depending on their position and style of play. We’ve put together a series of circuits designed to give you match day sharpness in time for kick off.
Get your muscles fired with these HiiT exercises.
- 30 secs jogging on the spot
- 30 secs shoulder rolls
- 30 secs toe touches
- 30 secs star jumps
- 30 secs ankle rotations
- 30 secs hip rotations
Take a minute to have a drink, and then repeat once more.
Anticipation and reaction are the key qualities that set players like Van Dijk apart from your average Joe (Gomez). Circuits like these will ensure you make that last ditch tackle or goal line clearance.
- Start at the goal line and sprint to the 6 yard line.
- Do 20 jump squats, imitating a header at the top of your jump.
- Sprint to the 18 yard line and do 15 jump squat headers.
- Sprint to the 10 yard line and do 10 jump squat headers.
- Run back to the 6 yard line.
- Have a breather for 2 minutes and then repeat the drills 8 times.
Some would argue midfielders have the most physically demanding position in the game, especially if the team’s formation is attack focused. As a midfielder, being able to attack, defend and everything in between is important – hence why this drill won’t be easy, but it will be worth it.
- Start on the goal line and run at 75% speed to the centre spot.
- Drop and give 20 push ups and 20 squats.
- Sprint back to the goal line and do 20 squat jumps.
- Take a 2 minute breather and repeat 6 times.
Fancy yourself as a bit of a Ronaldo or Messi? Attackers pride themselves on acceleration to the max and these drills will help you achieve just that.
- Place a ball on the edge of the box, walk to the penalty spot and face away from the goal.
- Sprint to the left post, do ten push ups then sprint to the spot and do ten push ups. Repeat this 4 times.
- Sprint to the right post, drop and give ten burpees, then sprint to the other and do ten burpees.
- Shoot to the top corner, like we know you will, and do 8 squat jumps.
- Get your breath back for 2 minutes and repeat 8 times.
Remember to take it steady as you ease yourself back into it, and let us know how you find these drills in the comments below.