Recipe: Thai Massaman Curry
We’re a bit obsessed with Thai-inspired flavours after going out for an amazing Thai meal recently (check out our Thai green soup recipe). This Thai massaman curry recipe is delicious when made with chicken, but will work well with pretty much any meat, especially beef. Some recipes add peanuts, but this bulks up the calories and so we decided to omit them. At 300 calories per portion, this is ideal for those days when you want to keep your calorie intake low, and you could easily double up and have the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Thai massaman curry recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Serves: 4
Nutritional info per serving
Calories: 292 | Total fat: 10g | Carbs: 19g | Sugars: 3g | Protein: 32g
- 500g chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp massaman curry paste (we used this one from Tesco, but you should be able to find it in most supermarkets)
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tin (400ml) light coconut milk
- 2 medium waxy potatoes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sweetener
- salt & pepper
- fresh coriander
- Cook the potatoes, skin-on, in the microwave for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Pierce the skin before cooking to stop them from exploding!
- Once cooked, leave to one side and prepare the chicken. Put the diced chicken into a non-stick pan along with the garlic, ginger and red onion. Place over a medium to high heat, add the massaman paste and stir until well combined.
- Add the coconut milk and fish sauce and cook for 20 minutes until the onion has softened and the chicken is cooked through. Take the skin off the cooked potatoes, cut into cubes and add to the pan.
- Taste the sauce and add sweetener, salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to cook for a further 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with the coriander and serve. You could serve this on its own, as potato curries are always quite filling, but you could also add some wholemeal rice for an even more filling dish.
If you make any of our recipes, we want to see! Tag us on social media with #manvfat or show off your culinary skills over on the forum. Check out our recipe archive here
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.