Smoked bacon and cheese egg bites – recipe
If you’re anything like us, you’ll be drooling at the very thought of smoked bacon combined with cheese and egg. Yes. Please.
When this landed in our email inbox from Smoked Meat Sunday‘s Chris Riley, we were thrilled, because it’s right up our alley. And we reckon it’ll be right up yours too.
Makes 12 servings | 120 calories per serving (1 egg bite) | 9g protein per serving
- 12 rashers of bacon, sliced
- 9 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (that’s 60ml)
- 1/4 cup cheese, grated (that’s 60g) – cheddar and gouda are both good options here.
- 1 tbsp of BBQ rub (Nando’s do a good one, or opt for good ol’ Schwartz)
1. Sprinkle BBQ rub over the bacon and smoke for 30-45 minutes at 225 degrees. If you can’t smoke it, grill it according to pack instructions.
2. Spray each slot of a 12 tin muffin pan with non-stick spray
3. Line the muffin tin with the sliced bacon.
4. Combine the other ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
5. Pour the egg mixture into each muffin tin to about 2/3rds full
6. Cook the egg bites in the smoker at 400 degrees (or in the oven at 200 degrees) for 15 minutes or until set and enjoy!
Make sure you cook the bacon well prior to putting it in the muffin tin. This helps the bacon fully cook, and gives it some of that smoky flavour we all love!
These egg bites are really good when you add chopped sundried tomatoes and spinach to the mix, which is also a great way of working towards your 5 a day. This recipe is a good base, don’t be afraid to experiment with other ingredients to add your own flair to them.
Thesy make for a fantastic make-ahead breakfast. You could try making a whole batch of these on a Sunday so that your breakfasts for the week are taken care of.
See the original recipe over on Smoked Meat Sunday here.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.