Recipe: Chimichanga beef burritos
Spicy beef, crispy tortillas, chunky guac and sour cream come together in this delicious recipe for chimichanga beef burritos. Despite the long list of ingredients, making this Mexican treat couldn’t be simpler and if you keep your kitchen fully stocked with jars of spices, and wraps in the freezer, then you can have this ready to go whenever you like.
This is an excellent recipe to know how to make as you can switch it up to include whatever you’ve got in. For example, while writing this I’m eyeing up the chicken breasts in the fridge and I know that chicken will work just as well.
Chimichanga beef burritos
Serves 4 | Difficulty level: Easy | Prep time: 25 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes
Nutritional info per serving
Calories: 628 | Fat: 17.5g | Carbs: 85.5g | Sugar: 15.9g | Protein: 36.7g
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp water
- 300g lean minced beef
- 1 red chilli
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 350g passata
- 400g refried beans, canned (or you can make your own)
- One kcal spray oil – about 20 sprays (we used Frylight)
- 60g sour cream
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 8 small corn tortilla wraps
- 200g guacamole, ready-made or see recipe here.
For the Mexican salad:
- ½ red onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes, deseeded
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 green apple
- 80g sweetcorn
- Juice of 1 lime
- 30g romaine lettuce
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Finely chop the onion and gently fry on a low to medium heat in water with a pinch of salt. Fry until the onions are soft and translucent. If the pan is a bit dry just add a splash more water.
- Add the minced beef and cook until browned. Finely chop the red chilli and garlic and put in the pan along with the tomato puree, cumin, chilli and paprika and stir for a few minutes until the spices are gently toasted and the tomato puree has melted into the beef.
- Add the passata and season to taste. Simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes while you get on with the rest of the dish.
- Make the Mexican salad by finely chopping all the ingredients and mixing together in a bowl. Pour over the lime juice and place to one side.
- To make the burritos, grab a tortilla wrap and place one tbsp of refried beans along the middle of the wrap. If you imagine that the wrap is a square with a grid you are looking to place your refried beans and 3 tbsps beef in the middle square. Bring two sides together and gently roll the other sides. Secure the burrito together using toothpicks so it doesn’t fall apart when frying.
- Once all your burritos are ready, heat a frying pan to a medium heat and spray each burrito with the 1 kcal spray oil on both sides and fry in the pan on both sides until brown and crispy.
- Serve the burritos on top of the Mexican salad with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream.