MAN v FAT Newsround 16/6/2017
Welcome to our new weekly news roundup, where we’ll celebrate your progress, bring you news from the MAN v FAT football leagues plus keep you up to date with all the latest goings-on in the world of weight loss, fitness and food.
- The MAN v FAT Manchester football league is staging a 24 hour match to raise money after the recent terror attack in the city. The continuous game, which will last one whole day is being held for the British Red Cross. So far around 60 people will be participating in the game. Jon Hargreaves, who plays in the Manchester league, came up with the idea and spoke about the aims for the event. “After what happened on the 22nd May in our own city and how those events directly affected some of our lads, I felt like we needed to do something to help. The main aim is to raise as much money as we possibly can. We’ve set a goal of £1,000 but we’re hopeful that can be smashed. The venue are holding a fun day on the 2nd and want to put what they raise in with ours so I’m hopeful that we’ll do well. It’s a minimum donation of £10 per individual and for a team of 8-10 a minimum of £100. We have an open policy, so if you want to play, play!” As ever with these MAN v FAT Football events there are teams from all around the country heading to Manchester to take part. It all kicks off at 12pm on Saturday 1st July at Goals Manchester (next to the Irish heritage centre). To donate to the Justgiving page, click here: http://www.justgiving.com/manvfatmanchester
- In addition to the 24 hour event, none other than MAN v FAT ourselves will be making an appearance on BBC Breakfast in the next week or so to talk about the startling news that we’ve hit 30 tons of weight lost in just over a year. MAN v FAT founder Andrew Shanahan will be the first thing you see when you switch on the TV before work. Apologies in advance if it puts anyone off their muesli #faceforradio
IN OTHER NEWS
- Congratulations to player Dan Cooper from the Stoke-on-Trent league, who has lost nearly six stone over two seasons at MAN v FAT Football. After swapping a full English for full wholegrain cereal for breakfast, Dan has now applied to be on the next series of Ninja Warrior, which is due to start 12 months after his weight loss journey began. Can we remind players that shuriken are still not allowed during games. Read Dan’s full story exclusively here.
- NEW REALLY THICK YOGHURT ALERT: Yes, there’s a new yoghurt on the horizon. Muller Light Greek Style Fat Free Raspberry Yogurts in fact. Anyone who’s ever done Slimming World will know the name Muller and they tend to be a good healthy pick, but remember to always read the label. Even though this yoghurt says it’s free of any fatty inclusions there is still 0.2g of it (are we being picky?) – but at least there is also no added sugar. It’s just over 60 calories per pot and you get four in a pack for £2.50 at Asda, but the product contains sweeteners, so remember that those sugar replacements can lead to, um, digestive issues, so don’t eat all four at once, save one for after tea!
- Who’s ready for a new smartwater! We’ll ignore the tumbleweeds to tell you that Glaceau have come up with a new Smartwater – and this time its sparkling. There’s a hint of a natural lemon flavour to this one as it boasts almost zero everything, such as calories (0.4 to be exact), fat and sugar. Ocado have them on offer and are selling 600ml bottles for 95p.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- Is butter better for you than low fat spreads and margarine? We’re always interested to see where the opinion-o-meter is swinging on the subject of fats. Here the Express weigh in on the story: http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/diets/814818/butter-margarine-diet-health-weight-loss
- Volunteering is about giving back to the community, but can being a sports and recreational volunteer help with your mental well-being? SPOILER: yes, yes it can. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/emma-boggis/sport-volunteering_b_16952382.html
FROM THE FORUM
- When do you know when you’re at the ideal weight? View the discussion here: https://talk.manvfat.com/t/ideal-weight/22613
- Compare your portion sizes to others by posting pictures of your daily meals on here and you could find inspiration. https://talk.manvfat.com/c/food/pyg-wednesdays