The holy grail of recipes when you’re trying to lose weight are the ones that manage to be filling, satisfying, simple to do and quick to make. Oh, and they’ve got to be low in cals. And delicious, obviously. Asking too much? No, but when you find these recipes, grab hold of them and make them as much as you can. This recipe, for giant Italian meatballs, is one of those recipes. If it was in a physical recipe book, it would be covered in splashes of sauce and the page would be folded and very well-read.
Giant Italian meatballs
Serves 4 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Nutritional info per serving
Calories: 599 | Total fat: 14g | Carbs: 51g | Sugars: 14g | Protein: 58g
For the meatballs:
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 500g 5% pork mince
- 500g 5% beef mince
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 jar passata
- Handful fresh torn basil leaves
- Salt & pepper
- 250g fresh baby plum tomatoes
- 400g wholewheat pasta (100g per person)
- Alternatively, if you’re cutting down on carbs try serving with spiralized courgette, carrot or butternut squash.
If you make any of our recipes, we want to see! Tag us on social media with #manvfat or show off your culinary skills over on the forum. Check out our recipe archive here.