Recipe: Almond and goji berry bites
These tasty almond and goji berry snacks are great to keep on hand or in a desk drawer when hunger pangs strike. They also make a great pre-or post-workout snack, for those days when you’re rushing from the office to the gym and need something light. Just a square or two is enough to leave you feeling satisfied as they’re naturally high in protein and fibre.
Goji berries enjoy a great reputation for being a ‘superfood’ – we don’t really buy into that kind of thing and a bit of common sense provided by the NHS shows that there’s not really that much evidence to back up all the claims of goji berries helping to prevent cancer, but they are high in various vitamins and they’re pretty delicious anyway.
With just 5 ingredients and only 5 minutes prep time, it’s a really simple but tasty recipe – and there’s no reason not to keep a batch of these on hand.
Almond and goji berry bites recipe
Makes 8 squares | Calories per square: 179 | Fat: 7g | Carbs: 25g | Sugar: 19g | Protein: 5g
- 1 cup (140g) almonds
- 1 cup (175g) pitted dates
- 1/4 cup (28g) dried goji berries (we got ours from Grape Tree Health Foods)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- In a blender, blend almonds into a flour.
- Add the dates and goji berries, and then blend again until a smooth paste forms.
- Mix in chia seeds and cacao nibs.
- Press it into a small rectangular oven dish or container, and then flip upside down onto plate. (Use a butter knife to release the sides if you need to, but it should come out fairly easily).
- Finally, cut into squares or bars and enjoy.